By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Viral Trending contentViral Trending content
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Celebrity
  • Business
  • Crypto
  • Gaming News
  • Tech News
  • Travel
Reading: Rescuers pull six more bodies from South Africa mine
Notification Show More
Viral Trending contentViral Trending content
  • Home
  • Categories
    • World News
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Celebrity
    • Business
    • Crypto
    • Tech News
    • Gaming News
    • Travel
  • Bookmarks
© 2024 All Rights reserved | Powered by Viraltrendingcontent
Viral Trending content > Blog > World News > Rescuers pull six more bodies from South Africa mine
World News

Rescuers pull six more bodies from South Africa mine

By Viral Trending Content 5 Min Read
Share
SHARE
EPA Miners who have just resurfaced being led by police officersEPA

Miners have been brought to the surface on Tuesday<!-- -->

Six more bodies have been pulled up from a South African mine as efforts continue for a second day to help scores of illegal miners still thought to be at least 2km (1.2 miles) underground, a national umbrella body for NGOs, Sanco, has told the BBC.

Eight people came out alive on Tuesday adding to the 26 rescued on Monday after they were hoisted up the disused mine shaft in a cage operated by a crane at the surface. Nine bodies were recovered on Monday.

The men have been underground since police operations targeting illicit mining started last year across the country.

Last week a court ordered the government to facilitate a rescue operation that had been long-delayed.

This story contains a video that some people may find distressing.

Last year, arguing that the miners had entered the shaft in Stilfontein deliberately without permission, the authorities took a hard line, blocking food and water supplies.

In November, one government minister said: “We are going to smoke them out.”

And as the rescue mission continued on Tuesday, mining minister Gwede Mantashe told a press conference that illegal mining was a war on the economy and that fight against it needed to be intensified.

More than 100 of the illegal miners, known locally as “zama zamas”, have reportedly died underground since the crackdown began at the mine some 145km (90 miles) south-west of Johannesburg.

The authorities however, have not confirmed this figure as it is yet to be “verified by an official source”, a spokesperson told the BBC.

On Tuesday, the BBC saw dozens of emaciated miners – wearing tattered clothes and no shoes or socks – being taken away by medical professionals outside the mine.

The previous day, disturbing videos emerged showing the dire situation at the disused gold mine.

In one of the films, which the BBC has not independently verified, corpses wrapped in makeshift body bags can be seen. A second shows the emaciated figures of some miners who are still alive.

Hundreds are thought to be still in the mine while more than 1,000 have surfaced in the past few months.

In one of the videos released by a trade union, the General Industries Workers of South Africa (Giwusa), dozens of shirtless men can be seen sitting on a dirty floor. Their faces have been blurred. A male voice off camera can be heard saying that the men are hungry and need help.

The videos shot underground show scenes of dead bodies and emaciated figures<!-- -->

“We’re starting to show you the bodies of those who died underground,” he says.

“And this is not all of them… Do you see how people are struggling? Please we need help.”

In the other video, a man says: “This is hunger; people are dying because of hunger.” He then puts the death toll at 96 and begs for help, food and supplies.

The union says the footage was filmed on Saturday.

In a briefing held on Monday near the site of the rescue operation, Giwusa leadership, alongside community figures, said the videos shared “painted a very dire picture” of the situation underground.

“What has transpired here has to be called what it is; this is a Stilfontein massacre. Because what this footage does is show a pile of human bodies, of miners that died needlessly,” Giwusa president Mametlwe Sebei said.

He blamed the authorities for what he described as a “treacherous policy” that was deliberately pursued.

On Tuesday, a government statement said 13 youngsters, or “minors”, have surfaced from underground since the crackdown began.

The department of mineral resources, leading the rescue effort, told the BBC that the rescue operation included lowering down a cage that is then hoisted up once loaded with people.

This structure is designed to hold six or seven people, depending on their weight, according to Giwusa. It has been going down the shaft every hour.

Map of southern Africa showing the location of Stilfontein and Johannesburg.

More South Africa stories from the BBC:

Getty Images/BBC A woman looking at her mobile phone and the graphic BBC News AfricaGetty Images/BBC

You Might Also Like

Podcast | How is Brussels taking all this Brexit banter?

Republican call off vote on Trump’s War Powers Resolution that was on the verge of passing

Air France and Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash over Atlantic

Cities must plan for migration as permanent reality, experts say at World Urban Forum

European carmakers face EU pressure to diversify chip suppliers

TAGGED: World News
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link
Previous Article Leslie Charleson: 5 Things About the Late ‘General Hospital’ Actress
Next Article Germany mulls sale of energy supplier Uniper to Canadian investment group
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Latest News

Podcast | How is Brussels taking all this Brexit banter?
World News
US Strategic Bitcoin Reserve Plan Takes Shape As The American Reserve Modernization Act Lands
Crypto
GTA 6’s Marketing Will Have a “Very Significant, Broad-Based Marketing Campaign”, Per Take-Two CEO
Gaming News
Rahul Shah bullish on pharma, sees Sun Pharma and Aurobindo as key large-cap plays
Business
Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Seen Running One UI 9
Tech News
One in a thousand: The European countries where the ultra-rich earn the most
Business
Coinbase premium hits monthly low as institutional selling pressure mounts
Crypto

About Us

Welcome to Viraltrendingcontent, your go-to source for the latest updates on world news, politics, sports, celebrity, tech, travel, gaming, crypto news, and business news. We are dedicated to providing you with accurate, timely, and engaging content from around the globe.

Quick Links

  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Celebrity
  • Business
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Celebrity
  • Business
  • Crypto
  • Gaming News
  • Tech News
  • Travel
  • Sports
  • Crypto
  • Tech News
  • Gaming News
  • Travel

Trending News

cageside seats

Unlocking the Ultimate WWE Experience: Cageside Seats News 2024

Investing £5 a day could help me build a second income of £329 a month!

Brussels unveils plans for a European Degree but struggles to explain why

cageside seats
Unlocking the Ultimate WWE Experience: Cageside Seats News 2024
May 22, 2024
Investing £5 a day could help me build a second income of £329 a month!
March 27, 2024
Brussels unveils plans for a European Degree but struggles to explain why
March 27, 2024
CISA urges software devs to weed out SQL injection vulnerabilities
March 27, 2024
© 2024 All Rights reserved | Powered by Vraltrendingcontent
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?