By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Viral Trending contentViral Trending content
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Celebrity
  • Business
  • Crypto
  • Gaming News
  • Tech News
  • Travel
Reading: Ex-Thornaby chief exec: Closing women’s section ‘complex’
Notification Show More
Viral Trending contentViral Trending content
  • Home
  • Categories
    • World News
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Celebrity
    • Business
    • Crypto
    • Tech News
    • Gaming News
    • Travel
  • Bookmarks
© 2024 All Rights reserved | Powered by Viraltrendingcontent
Viral Trending content > Blog > Sports > Ex-Thornaby chief exec: Closing women’s section ‘complex’
Sports

Ex-Thornaby chief exec: Closing women’s section ‘complex’

By Viral Trending Content 6 Min Read
Share
SHARE

The former chief executive of Thornaby has spoken out to address “misconceptions” over the closure of the club’s women’s section.

Trevor Wing was one of six people who resigned from the Teesside club’s nine-strong committee on Monday after voting in favour of shutting down the women’s team, a decision which prompted widespread criticism including from England forward Beth Mead.

Wing said the decision had been “portrayed as a sweeping and callous move” but the reality was far more complex.

Twitter

This content is provided by Twitter, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Twitter cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.


Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Twitter cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Twitter cookies for this session only.

Enable Cookies
Allow Cookies Once

Wing disputed a social media post from Thornaby FC’s women’s section which said the entire women’s and girls’ section had been removed, saying the committee had not voted to close down the women’s junior teams, which he said were “self-sufficient” and could have continued.

He added that the decision to shut down the senior women’s team “was not taken lightly” but that it had become evident that running a men’s and a women’s team was “financially unsustainable”.

“I feel it is important to clarify the situation and address some misconceptions,” Wing said in a statement.

“The decision to discontinue the women’s first team and junior teams has been portrayed as a sweeping and callous move, but the reality is more complex. Financial constraints have placed significant pressure on our club.

“After extensive discussions and deliberation with all stakeholders, it became evident that maintaining both the men’s and women’s first teams was financially unsustainable.

Twitter

This content is provided by Twitter, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Twitter cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.


Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Twitter cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Twitter cookies for this session only.

Enable Cookies
Allow Cookies Once

“Given the men’s team has been an established part of Thornaby FC since 2000, the difficult decision was made to prioritise its continuity.

“It is important to note that the women’s junior teams have historically operated independently, using the Thornaby FC name and badge while playing at various other venues.

“These teams were self-sufficient and their operation could have continued under the same model.

“It should be recognised that Thornaby FC has not had male junior teams for several years, further highlighting the financial limitations we face.

“My commitment to women’s football spans over five decades including 16 years of volunteer service at Thornaby FC and 15 years with the North Riding County FA.

“I have actively promoted women’s football, serving as a coach (and) secretary for Middlesbrough Ladies and as a representative on the FA’s Women’s Committee it is deeply disappointing to be mischaracterised as someone against women’s football by those who do not fully understand my history or the complete context of our decision.

Twitter

This content is provided by Twitter, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Twitter cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.


Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Twitter cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Twitter cookies for this session only.

Enable Cookies
Allow Cookies Once

“The decision was not taken lightly, and it was made with the club’s long-term stability in mind. I remain dedicated to supporting and promoting women’s football and hope that the community will continue to support Thornaby FC through these challenging times.”

The women’s team had been playing in the North East Regional Women’s Football League – tier six of the football pyramid.

Arsenal and England striker Mead, who was born in nearby Whitby, described it as a “horrible” decision.

The Labour candidate for Middlesbrough and Thornaby East, Andy McDonald, said on Monday that the remaining committee members wanted to retain a female team and “build a new diverse and wide-ranging board alongside representatives from the women’s team”.

The Football Association was “very disappointed” and said its local branch, the North Riding County FA, was in contact with the club.

You Might Also Like

With Chicago Options ‘Exhausted,’ Bears Focus on Arlington Heights and Hammond

Koepka makes storming eight-under start as Scheffler lurks in Texas

Last Night In Baseball: Dodgers Superstar Shohei Ohtani Dazzles Against Padres

Oleksandr Usyk snubs Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua in naming hardest puncher

Enzo Maresca Situation: 2 sides to a story but I don’t really care about either of them – opinion

TAGGED: Sports
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link
Previous Article Russian warships reach Cuban waters ahead of military exercises in the Caribbean
Next Article Sánchez urges international community to ‘add more pressure’ on Israel to end Gaza war
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Latest News

Here’s The Interesting About The XRP Chart That Everyone Is Missing
Crypto
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 Purgation Update Is Now Live, Adds the Battle Simulator
Gaming News
Trinity College Dublin student wins 2026 Mary Mulvihill Award
Tech News
Rs 420 crore share buybacks: Welspun Living, CMS Info Systems turn ex-record date today. Tracking any?
Business
Bitcoin liquidity balance hints at developing rally toward $80K
Crypto
Linux Rootkits, Router 0-Day, AI Intrusions, Scam Kits and 25 New Stories
Tech News
Air France and Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash over Atlantic
World News

About Us

Welcome to Viraltrendingcontent, your go-to source for the latest updates on world news, politics, sports, celebrity, tech, travel, gaming, crypto news, and business news. We are dedicated to providing you with accurate, timely, and engaging content from around the globe.

Quick Links

  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Celebrity
  • Business
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Celebrity
  • Business
  • Crypto
  • Gaming News
  • Tech News
  • Travel
  • Sports
  • Crypto
  • Tech News
  • Gaming News
  • Travel

Trending News

cageside seats

Unlocking the Ultimate WWE Experience: Cageside Seats News 2024

Investing £5 a day could help me build a second income of £329 a month!

Brussels unveils plans for a European Degree but struggles to explain why

cageside seats
Unlocking the Ultimate WWE Experience: Cageside Seats News 2024
May 22, 2024
Investing £5 a day could help me build a second income of £329 a month!
March 27, 2024
Brussels unveils plans for a European Degree but struggles to explain why
March 27, 2024
CISA urges software devs to weed out SQL injection vulnerabilities
March 27, 2024
© 2024 All Rights reserved | Powered by Vraltrendingcontent
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?