The Knicks Are Fined $50,000 for Barring The Daily News

A simmering feud between the Knicks and The Daily News has culminated in the team receiving a $50,000 fine from the N.B.A. after a reporter for the newspaper was not allowed to attend a news conference last week.

The league said in a statement Monday that the Knicks had violated league rules regarding equal access for the news media and that the team had now pledged to abide by them.

The Knicks held a news conference Friday for their newest draft picks, R.J. Barrett and Ignas Brazdeikis, but The Daily News was not allowed in, even though the publication’s writers are credentialed by the team and league.

The Knicks acknowledged in a statement that they broke the rules but attributed the lapse to a misinterpretation of the policy on when credentialed reporters must be let in.

Still, the tension likely will continue because league rules are less clear on other ways teams control access, such as email lists for team news and other forums in which a coach or player might speak to reporters invited at the discretion of team executives.

Pressure had been ratcheting up on the team to allow The Daily News access, including statements issued in recent days by the Professional Basketball Writers Association and the Associated Press Sports Editors.

“The actions of willful discrimination taken by the New York Knicks against reporters from the New York Daily News are an abridgment of the First Amendment and not befitting a team in the National Basketball Association,” Todd M. Adams, president of APSE and the sports editor at The State Journal-Register in Illinois, said in a statement Monday.


Source link Sports

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *