Because the struggle enters its 636th day, these are the primary developments.
Right here is the scenario on Tuesday, November 21, 2023.
- Ukraine stated preventing intensified across the Russian-occupied japanese city of Bakhmut. Volodymyr Fityo, a spokesperson for Ukrainian floor forces, stated Russia was focusing its assaults on Klishchiivka, a close-by village that was retaken by Ukrainian forces in September. “Eleven assaults have been repelled previously 24 hours,” he stated. “The enemy is making an attempt to dislodge our males from defensive positions round Klishchiivka.” Russia’s defence ministry stated it had overwhelmed again greater than 30 Ukrainian assaults in and round Bakhmut previously week.
- Ukrainian authorities stated three folks have been killed and one injured in Russian shelling within the southern Kherson and the central Dnipropetrovsk areas. Some energy traces and a fuel pipeline have been additionally broken.
- Ukrainian police stated a soldier and a lady died when a grenade exploded in a Kyiv residence. The reason for the blast, which injured a second man, was not instantly clear.
- The USA State Division stated it was barring Russian Colonel Azatbek Omurbekov and Russian Guard Corporal Daniil Frolkin from coming into the US over their alleged involvement in human rights violations within the Ukrainian city of Andriivka.
Politics and diplomacy
- Ukraine fired its two high cyber-defence officers – Yury Shchyhol, head of the State Particular Communications Service of Ukraine, and his deputy Victor Zhora – amid an ongoing investigation into corruption over software program purchases.
- Fox Corp Chief Govt Lachlan Murdoch travelled to Kyiv the place he met President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Ukraine stated the assembly was a “essential sign” of assist at a time when the Israel-Gaza struggle has diverted world consideration from the struggle in Ukraine. Zelenskyy stated Fox Information journalist Benjamin Corridor, who was badly wounded overlaying the battle final 12 months, and Jerome Starkey, a journalist with the UK tabloid The Solar have been additionally on the assembly.
- In an interview with The Solar that was additionally revealed within the UK’s Occasions newspaper, which is a part of the identical media group, Zelenskyy accused Russia of making an attempt to stoke pressure from the Balkans to the Center East. “Ukraine right now [is] within the centre of those world dangers of this Third World Struggle,” Zelenskyy stated. Urging Ukraine’s allies to keep up their army assist, he acknowledged the dearth of progress on some components of the battlefield, however famous successes within the Black Sea. “We actually deployed a part of the Russian fleet,” he instructed the paper. “We did it.”
- Russia positioned Ukrainian singer Jamala, who received the 2016 Eurovision Track Contest, on its needed listing. The impartial Russian information web site Mediazona stated Jamala, whose actual title is Susana Jamaladinova, had been charged below a regulation that bans spreading faux details about the Russian army and the struggle in Ukraine. Jamala, a Crimean Tatar, has lengthy been a critic of Russia and instructed Zelenskyy final 12 months that her precedence was to “remind that foreigners got here to my home to kill and mutilate life, to destroy and rewrite my tradition”. She responded to the Russian arrest warrant on Instagram with a facepalm emoji.
- A Japanese delegation led by senior trade and international ministry officers and together with enterprise representatives visited Ukraine for talks forward of subsequent 12 months’s Ukraine Restoration Convention, which shall be hosted by Japan.
- US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin made an unannounced go to to Kyiv and unveiled an extra $100m package deal to offer artillery munitions, interceptors for air defence and anti-tank weaponry. Austin promised Zelenskyy that US assist could be for the “lengthy haul”. He additionally met with Defence Minister Rustem Umerov.