The March worldwide break gave us our newest take a look at what Gregg Berhalter’s United States males’s nationwide staff has to supply, with practically full-strength squads incomes pleasant wins over Jamaica and Northern Eire. So with the People’ performances recent in thoughts, ESPN’s Jeff Carlisle breaks down the 23-man squad he’d placed on the flight to Qatar for the 2022 World Cup.
Editor’s word: Ages of gamers listed as of the beginning of the World Cup: Nov. 21, 2022.
Going to Qatar 2022
1. Christian Pulisic | Midfielder | Chelsea | 24: At 22, Pulisic’s profession at membership and nation already appears like that of a grizzled veteran. His scenario at Chelsea feels unsettled, and the harm historical past is regarding. However it’s truthful to say that the U.S.’s fortunes on the highway to Qatar can be tied to him, and he’d be on the aircraft even when he wasn’t absolutely match.
2. John Brooks | Defender | VfL Wolfsburg | 29: The questions on Brooks’ consistency with the U.S. have abated, and at this stage he is one of many first names on Berhalter’s lineup card due to his defending and distribution. He is additionally had a stellar season at Wolfsburg and stays a menace on set items.
3. Weston McKennie | Midfielder | Juventus | 24: One of many leaders of this younger and thrilling U.S. staff, McKennie’s recreation has grown by leaps and bounds up to now yr. The native Texan has far exceeded expectations in his debut season with Juventus, rising as an actual purpose menace from central midfield. McKennie has the flexibility to play wherever in midfield and brings vitality, tenacity and aerial prowess to Berhalter’s facet.
4. Tyler Adams | Midfielder | RB Leipzig | 23: Adams looks as if a captain-in-waiting at this level given his composed play in midfield in addition to his management. He is taking part in in a high league as properly, and at age 22, he is sure to solely get higher. After bouncing round a bit positionally at worldwide stage (and membership stage too), he is the clear No. 6 for the U.S.
5. Zack Steffen | Goalkeeper | Manchester City | 27: Regardless of restricted taking part in time at Manchester Metropolis, Steffen stays the clear No.1 for the USMNT. Along with being an excellent shot-stopper, Steffen has showcased the assured and commanding character wanted to be an elite goalkeeper. Steffen is also the most effective of the U.S. bunch together with his toes, one thing each Berhalter and Pep Guardiola worth extremely.
6. Sergino Dest | Defender | Barcelona | 22: The one query surrounding Dest today is the place to play him, right- or left-back — or wing-back, ought to Berhalter go for a three-man protection. Both approach, he has turn into a mainstay within the U.S. lineup, together with his capability to get ahead and contribute to the assault his main power. The expertise he is getting at Barca ought to see him proceed to enhance.
7. Giovanni Reyna | Midfielder | Borussia Dortmund | 20: Simply 18, Reyna has emerged as an attacking power for the U.S. and Borussia Dortmund, and his craftiness on the ball hints at even larger issues to come back. If Reyna can progress, then he’ll present a a lot wanted counterweight to Pulisic on the alternative wing. He is already been spectacular in pleasant appearances. Now the problem is to repeat that kind in larger competitions.
8. Yunus Musah | Midfielder | Valencia | 20: The frenzied buzz following his dedication to the USMNT in March appears like a distinction to Musah’s type of play. Already a gentle presence within the middle of the midfield, Musah additionally adapts to the sport’s tempo with out forcing something. His declining minutes at Valencia will be chalked as much as the return to health of senior names within the staff, however the 18-year-old will get higher with time.
9. Josh. Sargent | Ahead | Werder Bremen | 22: The St. Louis native would begin at striker if group stage began tomorrow. He has discovered good kind just lately at Werder Bremen, however journey restrictions have restricted the 21-year-old’s time this yr with Berhalter’s facet. The No. 9 place is a wide-open race and Sargent might use some targets to enhance his stable urgent and hold-up skills.
10. Aaron Long | Defender | New York Red Bulls | 30: Lengthy has been one of many foundational items of Berhalter’s reign, incomes 18 of his 21 caps below this supervisor. His restoration tempo is outstanding, making him arguably the U.S.’s quickest choice within the middle of protection. Lengthy might bolster his case by lastly making a transfer to Europe to choose up some polish, however his place is all however assured.
11. Matt Miazga | Defender | Chelsea | 27: The battle for the suitable center-back spot stays intense, and Miazga is within the thick of it together with Lengthy — and Richards. Miazga’s string of loans away from Chelsea appears unending, however the excellent news is that he is getting constant taking part in time with Anderlecht. There cannot be any letup, although, if he is to get extra taking part in time below Berhalter.
12. Gyasi Zardes | Ahead | Columbus Crew SC | 31: If there is a ahead on this participant pool who’s intimately accustomed to the intricacies of Berhalter’s system, it is Zardes. The 29-year-old scored 19 targets in his sole season in Columbus below the now-U.S. boss, and possesses the mobility and nostril for purpose that might make him a reliable reserve in Qatar.
13. Reggie Cannon | Defender | Boavista | 24: The ex-FC Dallas man, 22, is a well-balanced right-back who’s each accountable defensively but in addition can take part in assault. Possessing good tempo and stamina, Cannon will both again up Dest on the suitable or, if Dest strikes to the left, deal with Bryan Reynolds or DeAndre Yedlin for the beginning function.
14. Timothy Weah | Ahead | Lille | 22: After a 2019-20 season misplaced to harm, Weah has bounced again properly this marketing campaign with 5 targets to date for joint-Ligue 1 leaders Lille. Weah’s tempo and motion are a lovely proposition for any coach, and up to now, he has proven the flexibility to play wherever throughout the frontline. Weah nonetheless has super upside and can be main issue for years to come back.
15. Ethan Horvath | Goalkeeper | Club Brugge | 27: Horvath has discovered taking part in time robust to come back by with Brugge this season, however he confirmed his high quality in a Champions League outing towards Zenit St. Petersburg in November. If he can discover a new membership, and get on the sector, he’ll solidify his maintain on the No. 2 spot behind Steffen.
16. Antonee Robinson | Defender | Fulham | 25: One other who has had a breakout season, the English-born Robinson has actually impressed in his first style of the Premier League with Fulham. A contemporary left-back who likes to get ahead and tackle opposing defenders, Robinson has additionally made main strides defensively up to now 18 months. After some uneven early performances in a U.S. shirt, he’s rapidly rising into an essential determine.
17. Jackson Yueill | Midfielder | San Jose Earthquakes | 25: When Berhalter desires to play with a deep-lying playmaker on the No. 6 spot, Yueill has been the popular choice given his vary of passing. Is that sufficient to get on the roster? For now, sure, though it stays to be seen if that may maintain up over time, and if a participant like Brenden Aaronson is most popular.
18. Bryan Reynolds | Defender | AS Roma | 21: It is a choose based mostly on upside, a calculated danger that Reynolds will proceed his fast rise now that he is at a historic European membership like Roma. His choice comes on the expense of Yedlin, who at 27 and now with Galatasaray, is probably going the completed article. Reynolds is a tantalizing prospect with the potential of reaching a really excessive ceiling.
19. Daryl Dike | Ahead | Orlando City SC | 22: One of many highest risers of late, Dike has been in torrid kind — 5 targets in 11 appearances — since becoming a member of Barnsley on mortgage from Orlando Metropolis. Nonetheless simply 20, Dike’s mixture of power, aerial dominance and ending capability make him not like anybody else within the U.S. participant pool. A contender for the beginning striker spot, at minimal Dike tasks as an affect sub.
20. Sebastian Lletget | Midfielder | LA Galaxy | 30: Lletget has been a staple of Berhalter’s groups, together with his solely absences from the U.S. through the supervisor’s tenure coming on the 2019 Gold Cup, when he missed out by way of harm. The 28-year-old is the U.S.’s Swiss Military knife, able to taking part in wherever within the midfield or assault, a trait seemingly valued by his supervisor.
21. Chris Richards | Defender | Bayern Munich | 22: The FC Dallas academy product is making his case to companion with Brooks at center-back or be the additional defender in a again three. On mortgage at TSG Hoffenheim from Bayern, the 21-year-old is proving he generally is a common starter within the Bundesliga. Proper now, he’s behind extra established veterans on the depth chart however his versatility as an outside-back choice strengthens his case.
22. Matt Turner | Goalkeeper | New England Revolution | 28: For a 3rd keeper, it is essential to recruit a participant who’s enthusiastic about being at a serious event, even when the possibilities of taking part in are distant. With no youth nationwide staff expertise and one senior cap, Turner suits the invoice. It does not harm that he is the most effective goalkeeper in MLS, possessing beautiful shot-stopping skills.
Janusz Michallik highlights Christian Pulisic and Gio Reyna as he evaluates the USMNT’s 2-1 win in Belfast.
23. Jordan Morris | Midfielder | Seattle Sounders FC | 28: USMNT followers have been lastly excited to see Morris play abroad, however one other ACL harm lower quick his mortgage spell at Swansea Metropolis. Morris has the work price, however will his velocity be affected by the harm? The Sounders star might not return till the autumn, simply as World Cup qualifying matches start.
Jozy Altidore | Ahead | Toronto FC | 33: If Altidore can get off to an excellent begin with Toronto FC this season, he’ll be thought-about for a spot as a reserve striker. At 31, he might be motivated for one final shot at USMNT glory following from his unlucky harm on the 2014 World Cup and the failure of the 2018 marketing campaign.
Brenden Aaronson | Midfielder | FC Salzburg | 22: Aaronson is the odd man out able the U.S. has a humiliation of riches. That mentioned, there’s each likelihood he might show us incorrect, such is his dynamic expertise. Finally, Berhalter might want to resolve whether or not his staff could be finest served by one other attacking menace or a unique profile of midfielder, like Yueill.
Walker Zimmerman | Defender | Nashville SC | 29: Zimmerman is in competition with Miazga and, to a lesser extent, Lengthy for one of many centre-back berths, possessing capability on the ball however much less of the restoration velocity Berhalter values. If Richards develops as anticipated, it is troublesome to see the place Zimmerman suits into the 23-man squad.
Paul Arriola | Midfielder | D.C. United | 27: Like Morris, his mortgage at Swansea was lower quick attributable to harm, so his finest likelihood to remain on Berhalter’s radar is to get match for D.C. United. The precise facet of the sector is stacked with expertise however Arriola’s capability to cowl floor as a winger or a right-back will preserve him within the combine.
Nicolas Gioacchini | Ahead | Caen | 22: With two targets towards Panama in November and an help final week towards Jamaica, the Caen ahead is taking advantage of his early minutes with the USMNT. Gioacchini does not have a trademark ability per se, however he appears to own good intangibles that may have him in competition to make the squad behind the likes of Sargent and Dike.