As Iran’s President Ebrahim Raisi prepares to go to Saudi Arabia, AFP seems again at key moments within the relationship:
– 1979: Iran revolution – When Iranian revolutionaries overthrow the US-backed shah in 1979 and type an Islamic republic, Sunni-led governments within the area accuse the Shiite state of in search of to “export” its revolution.
In 1980, Saddam Hussein’s secular however Sunni-dominated regime in Iraq assaults neighbouring Iran, triggering an eight-year battle during which oil-rich Saudi, a key US ally, helps Baghdad.
– 1987: ties lower – In July 1987, Saudi safety forces in Mecca — the holiest web site in Islam — crack down on an anti-US protest by Iranian pilgrims. Greater than 400 individuals are killed.
Demonstrators ransack the Saudi embassy in Tehran and, in April 1988, Riyadh breaks off diplomatic relations for a number of years.
– 2011-2015: proxy wars in Syria, Yemen – From 2011 on, Iran and Saudi again opposing sides in Syria’s civil battle. Tehran helps President Bashar al-Assad with army forces and funds, whereas Riyadh backs Sunni rebels but in addition joins a US-led coalition to battle Sunni extremists from the Islamic State group.
Saudi Arabia and Iran additionally take opposing sides within the Yemen battle.
In 2015, a Saudi-led coalition launches a seven-year marketing campaign of air strikes in opposition to the Iran-backed Huthi rebels who seized the capital Sanaa.
– 2016: ties lower once more – In January 2016, Saudi Arabia executes distinguished Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr, a driving drive behind anti-government protests, on “terrorism” costs.
Protesters assault Saudi diplomatic missions in Iran, and Riyadh once more severs ties.
In November 2017, Saudi-backed Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri publicizes his resignation, citing Iran’s “grip” on his nation by way of the Shiite militant group Hezbollah.
Saudi Arabia is broadly suspected of forcing his resignation, which he later recants.
– 2017: Qatar blockade – In June 2017, Saudi Arabia and its allies sever ties with the tiny gas-rich Gulf monarchy of Qatar and impose a blockade on it, accusing Doha of being too near Iran and backing extremism.
Below US stress, Riyadh ends the embargo three years later.
– 2023: restoring relations – In a shock transfer, on March 10, 2023, Tehran and Riyadh announce Chinese language-brokered plans to renew ties after seven years.
Days later, Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi receives an invite from Saudi Arabia’s King Salman to go to.
On April 6, the Iranian and Saudi overseas ministers maintain talks in Beijing, the place they pledge to work collectively to convey “safety and stability” to the Center East.
On April 9, a Saudi delegation visits the Yemeni capital Sanaa to barter a brand new truce between the ousted authorities and Huthi rebels, elevating hopes of a potential finish to the battle.
– April 9-12: Syria push – On April 9 and 12, Saudi and Iranian delegations go to every others’ capitals to debate reopening their respective diplomatic missions.
On April 12, Syria’s overseas minister visits Saudi Arabia for the primary high-level talks between Riyadh and the Iran-backed Syrian regime for the reason that Syrian battle began.
The intention of the go to is to “obtain an entire political settlement” to the Syrian disaster and to “convey again Syria to its Arab fold,” the Saudi overseas ministry says.