By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Viral Trending contentViral Trending content
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Celebrity
  • Business
  • Crypto
  • Gaming News
  • Tech News
  • Travel
Reading: 'I am devastated': Hong Kong residents in disbelief after fire destroys blocks of flats
Notification Show More
Viral Trending contentViral Trending content
  • Home
  • Categories
    • World News
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Celebrity
    • Business
    • Crypto
    • Tech News
    • Gaming News
    • Travel
  • Bookmarks
© 2024 All Rights reserved | Powered by Viraltrendingcontent
Viral Trending content > Blog > World News > 'I am devastated': Hong Kong residents in disbelief after fire destroys blocks of flats
World News

'I am devastated': Hong Kong residents in disbelief after fire destroys blocks of flats

By Viral Trending Content 6 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Phoebe Kong & Koey Lee,BBC Chinese , Hong Kong,

Danny Vincent,Hong Kongand

Kathryn Armstrong,London

Watch: Deadly fire engulfs Hong Kong apartment blocks

“When you get closer the heat rises and you can feel it and the smoke is really heavy.”

Student Thomas Liu was one of many people drawn to the scene of a deadly fire that tore through much of the eight-block Wang Fuk Court housing complex in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district.

At least 44 people have died in Wednesday’s devastating blaze so far, and with hundreds still missing it’s expected this number will rise. The cause is not yet known.

“It’s a disaster,” Thomas said of the fire, telling the BBC he had seen a body being taken away.

“Many people sent us WhatsApp messages or called us, saying they still have relatives inside or can’t find them,” Mui Siu-fung, a councillor for the Tai Po district, told BBC Chinese.

More than a thousand other people were forced to evacuate the estate as the flames spread, with some heading to centres that have been set up to house them. Police also moved people from nearby buildings.

The fire is gradually being contained but officials say they do not know when it will be fully extinguished. Flames could be seen coming from individual apartments as many people watched on in silence.

One woman said her friends live inside the building and she was waiting to hear if they managed to get out.

Reuters A man wearing a jacket and with a backpack slung over his shoulder speaks to the cameraReuters

Harry Cheung has lived in block two of the Wang Fuk Court complex for decades

Harry Cheung, who has lived in block two of the Wang Fuk Court complex for more than 40 years, told Reuters he heard “a very loud noise” and saw fire erupt in a nearby block.

“I immediately went back to pack up my things,” the 66-year-old resident said.

“I don’t even know how I feel right now. I’m just thinking about where I’m going to sleep tonight because I probably won’t be able to go back home.”

A woman in her sixties, whose surname is Kam and who lives in the adjacent Kwong Fuk Estate, told the South China Morning Post (SCMP) that several of her friends living in Wang Fuk Court have been accounted for – but not all.

One friend has daily afternoon naps and may have been sleeping when the fire broke out at 14:51 local time (06:51 GMT), Ms Kam said, adding that the woman’s daughters have not yet been able to contact her.

Another resident, 65-year-old Jason Kong, told Reuters that a neighbour called him and said he was still trapped inside one of the tower blocks.

“I am devastated. There are so many neighbours and friends. I do not know what is going on anymore. Look, all the apartments are just burning. I do not know what to do. I hope the government can help us to settle down after this.”

An elderly woman who lives in one of the affected blocks told the BBC she was not at home when the fire broke out but that she is worried about her apartment because it is not insured.

“I’m very upset that I have no home to go to now,” she said.

Map that labels China, Hong Kong and Tai Po, which is in the centre of the map. Tai Po has a pin, which leads to a box showing what Wang Fuk Court looked like before the fire

While the cause of the fire that engulfed the multiple high-rise blocks is unknown, the flames are believed to have spread quickly through the bamboo scaffolding that covered the buildings, which were undergoing renovations.

Some people have expressed anger that such a massive fire could have happened and criticised the response.

“When there’s a wildfire, they will deploy helicopters and drop water bombs, but why is there no such deployment and how can they leave other buildings burning?” Ms Poon, another resident of Wang Fuk Court, who is in her sixties, asked.

“The community is so close to the fire station and we thought the fire could be put out soon, but now the fire has spread. I’m so disappointed,” she told the SCMP.

Ms Poon noted that she had been given no instructions from the government on where to seek help.

The BBC spoke to some Tai Po residents who had brought supplies to the victims and affected residents – including dozens of blankets and heat packs.

Hong Kong chief executive John Lee said government departments were assisting residents affected by the fire.

When asked about their feelings about the fire, the residents said “the government is incompetent” and that they were “immensely heartbroken”.

“We don’t want to see any more casualties,” said one.

You Might Also Like

Russian drone strikes hit Kyiv residential areas despite peace moves

Pope Leo XIV calls for unity of the Christian world during Nicaea ceremony

Italy’s Senate delays vote on consent in sexual violence law until 2026

Guinea-Bissau's coup called a 'sham' by West African political figures

Two ships of Russia’s sanctioned shadow fleet caught fire in the Black Sea off Türkiye

TAGGED: World News
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link
Previous Article 3I/ATLAS may be alien probe interested in Jupiter
Next Article Dogecoin ETF Off To A Disappointing Start: How It Measured Up To XRP And Solana ETFs
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Latest News

Russian drone strikes hit Kyiv residential areas despite peace moves
World News
SAP Selects TCS in 5-Year Deal to Transform its IT Landscape
Tech News
Homebuyers prioritize pet-friendly features in pursuit of dream home
Business
Pope Leo XIV calls for unity of the Christian world during Nicaea ceremony
World News
North Korean Hackers Deploy 197 npm Packages to Spread Updated OtterCookie Malware
Tech News
9 Best Black Friday Laptop Deals (2025): MacBooks, Gaming Laptops, and More
Tech News
Colman Domingo Then & Now: Pics of the Actor Over the Years
Celebrity

About Us

Welcome to Viraltrendingcontent, your go-to source for the latest updates on world news, politics, sports, celebrity, tech, travel, gaming, crypto news, and business news. We are dedicated to providing you with accurate, timely, and engaging content from around the globe.

Quick Links

  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Celebrity
  • Business
  • Home
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Celebrity
  • Business
  • Crypto
  • Gaming News
  • Tech News
  • Travel
  • Sports
  • Crypto
  • Tech News
  • Gaming News
  • Travel

Trending News

cageside seats

Unlocking the Ultimate WWE Experience: Cageside Seats News 2024

Russian drone strikes hit Kyiv residential areas despite peace moves

Investing £5 a day could help me build a second income of £329 a month!

cageside seats
Unlocking the Ultimate WWE Experience: Cageside Seats News 2024
May 22, 2024
Russian drone strikes hit Kyiv residential areas despite peace moves
November 29, 2025
Investing £5 a day could help me build a second income of £329 a month!
March 27, 2024
Brussels unveils plans for a European Degree but struggles to explain why
March 27, 2024
© 2024 All Rights reserved | Powered by Vraltrendingcontent
  • About Us
  • Contact US
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?