The reviews in Google Analytics 4 might be complicated. Take, for instance, acquisition reviews — the channels sending visitors to your web site — at Reviews > Acquisition. The part lists two kinds of acquisition: person and visitors (i.e., periods).
I’ll tackle these reviews on this put up.
Visitors Sources in GA4
“Consumer acquisition” vs. “Visitors acquisition”
These two reviews within the Acquisition part disclose the place every customer got here from. Consumer acquisition represents the preliminary supply that introduced the individual to your web site. Visitors acquisition is the latest.
Say a first-time customer got here to your web site from clicking an natural search itemizing. GA4 will group that preliminary go to within the “Natural search” channel for each reviews. But when she leaves and returns a number of days later from a Fb advert, GA4 will record the second go to within the “Paid social” channel within the “Visitors acquisition” report and “Natural search” in “Consumer acquisition.”
In different phrases, the “Visitors acquisition” report doesn’t differentiate between new and returning customers. It exhibits the entire periods and the place every originated. The “Consumer acquisition” report exhibits the entire customers and their preliminary (first-time) supply.
Each reviews present “default channel teams” — traffic-source classes — together with:
- “Direct.” Guests who typed your URL of their browser’s search bar.
- “Natural Search.” Guests who clicked an natural itemizing on Google, Bing. or one other search engine.
- “Natural Social.” Guests who clicked an natural put up on a social media web site.
- “E mail.”
- “Paid Search.”
- “Paid Social.”
- “Referral.” Guests who clicked non-ad hyperlinks on third-party websites.
- “Natural Video.” Guests who clicked non-ad hyperlinks on websites comparable to YouTube, TikTok, and Vimeo.
For particulars on every channel, click on the drop-down menus on every report. In “Consumer Acquisition,” click on the “First person default channel group” menu and choose “First person supply” for the record of originating domains.
Within the “Visitors Acquisition” report, click on “Session default channel group” and choose “Session supply.”
The numbers could also be completely different owing to new versus returning visits.
You’ll be able to restrict each reviews to a single web page through the “Add filter” possibility on the high.
- Choose “Add filter.”
- Click on “Choose dimensions.”
- Choose “Hyperlink Click on URL”
- Choose “incorporates” under “Match kind.”
- Paste your web page’s URL within the “Enter dimension URL” field.
The visitors and person acquisition reviews will now present knowledge for that URL.
In lots of instances, the person and visitors acquisition reviews are interchangeable. The variations, once more, consequence from returning guests. Regardless, the reviews present the sources of visitors — channels that introduce your model and drive return visits.